[CentOS] SATA RAID card recommendation?

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Tue Mar 20 18:59:41 UTC 2007

Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 at 11:20am, Florin Andrei wrote
>> I think I can go with the "throw more hardware (bigger disks) at the
>> problem" approach and use RAID1 instead of RAID5. That should give a
>> boost to the read performance, in theory.
>> I need to do some tests and figure out what works best in this
>> particular case.
> IMO, you do *not* want RAID5 there.  RAID10 is likely to work best.

With todays larger drives, and the amount of time raid5 rebuilds can
take leaving you exposed to double failure, and the price of drives, I'm
not sure there's _ANY_ application anymore for which raid5 is
appropriate.   And absolutely for sure, anything involving SQL databases
should be raid1/10...

>> There's not much room in the system, it's a 1U. I think I can fit a
>> full-height card in it, but it must not be too bulky.

the cache battery backup option might be tough to squeeze into a 1U.