[CentOS] Hellllp Pl: Centos 4.4 Default LVM install boot/recovery problem

Sanjay Arora

sanjay.k.arora at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 19:24:27 UTC 2007

Hello all

Nill experience with LVM. Have a Default Centos 4.4 install updated till
a week ago with three HDDs. System's not booting up since my staff
pulled out the plug due to a short circuit nearby.

Machine is a PIII 550 MHz, with 3 HDDs 40 GB, 120 GB (Actually is bigger
but my bios detects only upto 120 GB) & 20 GB...about half filled with
data & the backup server taken out in the short circuit.

Upon bootup, the system starts with root, kernel & initrd notices, then
says Uncompressing Linux then spits out the Error....CRC Error -- System
Halted.

Booted from the CD in reinstall mode where anaconda looks for linux
installations on the HDD and asks about upgrade, reinstall or fresh
partition/create partition/delete partition for reinstall, but the
installer does not detect any linux installation on the HDD. I aborted
at that stage.

Now my system is a default linux installation where I have used the
autopartitioning done by the system (LVM2) and almost all of my data is
either in /home directory or couple of directories in the /

I am willing to do a reinstall if my data is preserved. What do I need
to do to diagnose the problem? and pointers to recovering from this
problem and various tradeoffs. Can't lose data, as already have lost
backup server (smps, motherboard, hdd circuitry all short-circuited, so
no hope there). LVM howto was not much of a help as it seems to mostly
have how to expand or reduce lvm and similar issues.

Please keep in mind that I am a user and not sys-admin, though I can use
command-line, if instructions & how-tos are there.

Please help.

With best regards and thanks in anticipation.
Sanjay.