[CentOS] Updating the DVD ISO howto?

Phil Schaffner Philip.R.Schaffner at nasa.gov
Wed Mar 21 12:56:21 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-20 at 10:26 -0500, Benjamin J. Weiss wrote:
> I seem to remember this being addressed before, but I can't find the
> howto anywhere.
>
> I've got a friend heading to another country with VERY limited
> bandwidth.  He'd like me to update the 4.4 DVD to include all of the
> updated RPMS from updated.
>
> Where can I find the scripts to update the meta data on the RPMS and
> create a new bootable DVD?

Sounds like a good candidate for a CentOS Wiki page if someone can
document a clean way to do this.  The sipX kickstart may get you there
but is a bit confusing for this purpose.  [A related issue is creating a
DVD from CD images.  There's a blank page on the Wiki but no helpful
content.]

A work-around that might be a lot less work would be to just create a
CD/DVD (currently about 1.1 GB for i386) containing all the updates -
e.g. for the i386 updates, the top level of the DVD should have the
contents of the updates/i386 directory:  headers  repodata  RPMS

With k3b one can create this DVD quite easily by selecting "New Data DVD
Project", navigating to a previously-downloaded copy (or local mirror)
of the updates for the desired arch, dragging the 3 directories to the
DVD window, and selecting "Burn".

Can just install from the original DVD then reboot, mount the update DVD
and do

# yum --disablerepo=\* --enablerepo=c4-media update

It would later be possible to mail your friend new DVDs when enough
updates, or important enough updates, come out to justify the postage.

Phil