[CentOS] Re: centos 4.4 dns problem -

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 13:57:56 UTC 2007

Bob Goodwin wrote:

>>> Upon installing Centos 4.4 a second time it worked "out of the box"
>>> as expected.  Sorry that I caused a stir over a non-problem.  I still
>>> have no idea what I did that may have caused dns to fail, I think I
>>> made all the same choices and entries the second time around?
>>> However doing this in the wee hours I had no interruptions or
>>> distractions ...
>>> Should anyone be interested the dns servers are:
>>> cat /etc/resolv.conf
>>> nameserver
>>> nameserver
>>> nameserver
>> These are all external to your box.
>>> but there may be a problem here:
>>> service named status
>>> rndc: connect failed: connection refused
>> So this isn't a problem - you don't need named running on the box unless
>> you want to support having "nameserver" in your resolv.conf

> Yes I want the caching-nameserver running and thought it would result
> from the install but that didn't happen?
> Despite that it seems to be working well!  I was able to install xfce
> via yum but apparently gkrellm will have to be done without yum?  I also
> like the dejavu fonts ...
> So I have some configuration to attend to but so far I am quite happy
> with the result.

Serving DNS and where you resolve it as a client are completely
independent.  It is entirely possible to run a nameserver but not use it
yourself on the same machine.  The /etc/resolv.conf nameserver entries
determine where you resolve.

By the way, a 'yum update' might fix the rndc problem. I thought there
was some issue with the key generation that only affects communication
between named and its control program.  Normal operation should work anyway.

   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com