[CentOS] RE: CentOS 5 Beta - Yum Updates?

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 15:25:19 UTC 2007

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 09:58:14 -0500, Styma, Robert E (Robert) wrote:

> I confess to not reading all the release notes.  My interest in the CentOS
> beta came from the fact that a number of things which were broken going
> from FC4 to FC6 which annoyed me.  I discovered that FC7T2 maintains the
> broken state (there are open bugzillas) and CentOS 5 inherits them.

There is always some hope that the CentOS team incorporates bug fixes one
way of another.  For example, I and many other suffered from a bug in
the kernel cifs module that caused kernel oops/system crash.  This
prevented us from using kernel 2.6.18 (thus FC6 was a big no-no).  I
offered any help I could provide to the samba programmers and they finally
came up with the fix.  FC5 and FC6 were patched but, unfortunately, it was
too late to be included in RHEL5 (and CentOS5 will inherit it).  However,
CentOS has some flexibility to take the fix in as you can see in the bug
report:

http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=1776

So, if you are lucky enough to find a fix for the problem you have, try
reporting to the CentOS team.

My best,
Akemi