[CentOS] How to properly bridge the network to CentOS under Parallels on a Macbook Pro?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 15:31:06 UTC 2007

Olaf Greve wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have recently acquired a Macbook Pro (sweet machine!) from my
> employer, and one of the tasks the machine has to do is to run a
> distributed software development platform (called Splice) under Linux.
>
> For this task, I have chosen the trusty CentOS 4.4, and I have it set up
> in Parallels. So far, so good. Now then, the network does work within
> CentOS, but I want to assign it a fixed IP address, such that the DDS
> layer of the distributed platform can transparently communicate to (and
> from) the virtual machine.
>
> More specifically, the entire network, in which the Splice DDS runs, is
> a 192.168.1.x local network. There are already two 'real' (i.e. not
> virtual) machines, with IPs 192.168.1.4 and 192.168.1.42, which both
> work swell with one another.
> Now, the Macbook itself has the IP address 192.168.1.121, but the
> bridged network connection is a DHCP range, running from 10.211.55.1 -
> 10.211.55.254, and I want to be able to 'see' the VM from anywhere
> within the 192.168.1.x network.

That doesn't sound right.  A bridged network should take an address on
the same subnet as its host.  Are you sure the VM isn't set to nat
instead of bridged?

> I *think* I have to change something in the parallels network or
> parallels NAT configuation, but I am not certain what it should be set
> to, and I do not want to risk messing up all sorts of settings.

NAT and bridged are 2 different settings.  Shut down the VM, change the
setting for the interface and restart.

> Also, in
> CentOS I do know how to set a fixed IP address, but I am not certain if
> perhaps I have to add a 'direct route' or so. Does anyone know if this
> is (also) necessary?

In a bridged configuration the guest settings should look very much like
the host's - just with a different IP address as though it were a
different NIC on the same subnet.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com