[CentOS] apache error

Karl R. Balsmeier karl at klxsystems.net
Thu Mar 22 01:51:33 UTC 2007

Mark Quitoriano wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i restarted my apache and now im getting this error.
>
> Stopping httpd:                                            [FAILED]
> Starting httpd: (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind
> to address [::]:80
> Unable to open logs
>                                                            [FAILED]

it's saying it thinks port 80 is taken.  lsof is a good program, I
forget it it's netstat or another that could show you active connections
to port 80.

which version of apache are you running, is that apache the centos
version or the apache.org source, what OS version of Centos, and can you
run ps ax | grep httpd and see if there's another instance of apache
running.

also do an ls -al /usr/local/apache/logs and/or /var/local/apache/logs
depending on where you keep these...

yum install multitail will give you a nice program where you can type:

multitail -s 2 /var/log/messages /usr/local/apache/logs/error_log
/usr/local/apache/logs/access_log

it'll display all your logs in real time, and you can use another window
(or a program like screen) to stop/start apache, and see what it's
crying about.

If the server is new, maybe yum remove httpd, reboot, yum install httpd,
your call.