[CentOS] segfaults with 8 gig of ram

Stephen Harris lists at spuddy.org
Thu Mar 22 12:50:27 UTC 2007

> I have run memtest86 (from Knoppix 5.1) all night long on the
> 8 gig of ram and it comes up OK.  In the past, we have found
> problematic Corsair ram this way.  This 8 gig seems to be
> OK as far as memtest thinks.
>
> Today I will begin removing ram and testing to see what
> happens.  Does anyone have some ideas what might be the
> problem?  All the other five boxes with Corsair ram work
> fine.

Is this the only box with 8Gb RAM?  Do the others have smaller amounts?
Is the motherboard and BIOS the same?  Are you running the same kernel?

Is the machine stable if you run it with mem=1024M on the kernel options
line (so limitting it to 1Gb RAM).  Do you need the hugemem kernel?

--

rgds
Stephen