[CentOS] TightVNC controlling a Mac OSX 10.4.9.

David A. Woyciesjes david.woyciesjes at yale.edu
Fri Mar 23 16:32:14 UTC 2007

David A. Woyciesjes wrote:
> William Hooper wrote:
>> John Summerfield wrote:

>>> The version RH ships does not work -
>>> [summer at bilby ~]$ vncviewer emu
>>>

>>> VNC viewer for X version 4.0 - built Mar 31 2005 17:48:27
>>> Copyright (C) 2002-2004 RealVNC Ltd.
>>> See http://www.realvnc.com for information on VNC.
>>>

>>> Fri Mar 23 21:09:18 2007
>>> CConn:       connected to host emu port 5900
>>> CConnection: Server supports RFB protocol version 3.889
>>
>> Apple pulled a number out of the air for the protocol version.  With
>> RealVNC 4, it is close enough to the real number that the viewer picks
>> the
>> wrong encoding.  I also believe there are other incompatibilities, but
>> you
>> will have to look at the RealVNC list for more details.
>>
>> I believe people have had some success with the Windows version of
>> VNCViewer 4.1.2, which has an option to force it to use the older 3.3
>> protocol.  I don't know if 4.0 for Linux implemented this option.
>>

>     I have RealVNC viewer vP4.2.8, and get the unknown error 255, even
> though I chose the Use Protocol 3.3 option.
>     Looking more like I need to use Vine, or some other vncserver on the
> OSX side...

	Well, I installed Vine on the Mac, opened the VNC port, and was able to
connect with TightVNC here on Linux. :) Next, I'm gonna try using RealVNC...
	One neat thing about Vine on OSX, is it could allow more than one
person to be logged into the Mac at the same time...

--
--- David Woyciesjes
--- ITS Help Desk Support Technician