[CentOS] segfaults with 8 gig of ram

Morten Torstensen morten at mortent.org
Sat Mar 24 13:23:30 UTC 2007

Feizhou wrote:
> :) When using noapic and acpi=off, it is a given that it is not a kernel
> problem. These parameters are to work around BIOS or other motherboard
> issues.

And noapic especially severely limits your computer... no advanced irq
mapping or routing. For a server it is a no-go option, for a desktop it
might be a temporary workaround.

If noapic and/or acpi=off solves a problem, it is just a help to
pinpoint the problem, it is not a solution. The solution is to get the
manufacturer to fix their broken bios.

Speaking of that... maybe OpenFirmware would be a solution? Never tried
it myself on x86 class machines. Anyone with any experience?

--

//Morten Torstensen
//Email: morten at mortent.org
//IM: Cartoon at jabber.no morten.torstensen at gmail.com

And if it turns out that there is a God, I don't believe that he is evil.
The worst that can be said is that he's an underachiever.