[CentOS] Centos 4.4 Problems not i586 compatible

junk at realtechtalk.com junk at realtechtalk.com
Sun Mar 25 02:55:46 UTC 2007

Kevin K wrote:

> On Mar 24, 2007, at 9:05 PM, junk at realtechtalk.com wrote:
>
>> Karanbir Singh wrote:
>>>
>>> Excellent!

>>> its all assumption at this stage since you've not really said what
>>> breaks or how it does not work

>>> What do you really mean by 'it only works with i686' - which part of
>>> the livecd is failing ? how did you create this livecd ? what kernel
>>> and glibc / init process are you using etc ?
>>>
>>> - KB
>>>

>> Hi KB
>>
>> What I've done is taken a generic 2.6.18.3 Kernel and compiled with
>> i386 support.
>> All I have on the livecd now since I started from scratch is a copy
>> of the dev entries in centos.
>>
>> All the disc does is run init and load bash.  The init itself is a
>> bash script which just tells /bin/bash to execute
>> I have all the .so files as mentioned in my previous e-mails copied
>> to the relevant places.
>>
>> When I run the disc on any i686 machine it works but if I take it to
>> an i586 it halts after the kernel loads.
>> There is no error message, I can type things but bash never actually
>> executed (remember this disc works fine and loads bash like it should
>> on an i686 machine).
>>
>> I am using Centos 4.4 Server CD, it comes standard with an i686 glibc
>> installed but I downloaded glibc.i386
>> 2.3.4-2.25
>> and run "rpm -Uvh glibc-rpm.name --force" to install it over top of
>> glibc.i686
>>
>> I hope that explains it.  The bottom line is the disc works on any
>> i686 machine but not an i386.
>> I almost wonder if somehow some of the i386 glibc .so's are not i386
>> as it claims?\\
>
> I've had problems in the past when trying to convert a RHEL
> distribution to one that can run on lesser platforms, such as 486s or
> Pentiums.  Glibcs are not the easiest thing to replace, since you are
> normally trying to downgrade them on the fly, so you can't just remove
> the old one to ensure it is gone, then install the new one.
>
> I've seen the /lib/i686 directory being left behind when trying an
> upgrade like you listed above, so you may want to check that there
> isn't the i686 version of the libs remaining along with the 386
> version.  If so, it could be loading that instead, and failing on a
> Pentium.

Thanks Kevin.  I actually extracted the i386 glibc and did a diff
(comparing the i386 files I extracted from the RPM to the ones that were
actually installed) on all the glibc files I needed to use for bash and
they all came back the same.
Just to be sure I copied the libc.so.6 i386 file into the tls/i686
directory.

I feel strongly that the i386 glibc is not truly i386 unless I'm making
a stupid mistake but I've been at this for a few days.
I even manually compiled bash using march & mtune i386 flags and it
still wouldn't run.  It had different dependencies but I copied those
too and again it runs on i686.

Does anyone know a simple way to build an i386 compatible cd?  I suspect
my issue is that the i386 glibc is not really i386

Thanks again everyone!