[CentOS] Tape drive recommendations

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Tue Mar 27 15:14:49 UTC 2007

> Most all SCSI tape drives will work with a minimum of hassle -- what
> you go with depends mainly on budget and backup window.  I currently
> use both AIT3 and LTO3, and like them quite a lot.  LTO3 is probably
> overkill for you, but you may want to look at LTO or LTO2.

I'd second the motion on LTO2 or LTO3.    I'd avoid AIT, DAT/DDS, and
any other sort of helical scan.   LTO2 holds 200GB raw, 400GB compressed
on a cartridge, the drives are a bit pricy, but the tapes are fairly
reasonable, and they are FAST.    They require a dedicated Ultra160/320
SCSI channel for best performance.