[CentOS] telnet and Gnome logins

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu

m3freak at thesandhufamily.ca
Tue Mar 27 16:38:50 UTC 2007

Hello,

I have a thin client user with a regular Gnome desktop that he logs into
everyday.  He also telnets from a remote site into the same server that
provides his Gnome desktop.  I know, telnet is insecure, but it's all
over VPN, so it's a little better.  Also, he's using telnet from Windows
system.

Anyway, management wants a console app to be executed when that user
logs in over telnet.  That's easy enough with a "exec app" line in
his .bash_profile.  But, that prevents gnome-session from starting when
he logs into his Gnome desktop.

Is it possible to do both?  That is, give him his Gnome desktop when he
logs in from GDM, and the console app when he logs in over telnet?  The
easiest solution I can think of is installing NX Client on the Windows
PC and configuring it to execute a script that starts gnome-terminal
with console app passed to it (gnome-terminal -x app).  freenx is
already installed and running on the server.

Are there any other options?

Regards,

Ranbir

--