[CentOS] Mutt (derived from: Anaconda Slides in "Other Than English")

Ralph Angenendt ra+centos at br-online.de
Tue Mar 27 22:01:57 UTC 2007

Leonardo Pinheiro wrote:
> I am sorry, I couldn't understand the Mutt part. Does that mean you've
> been using Mutt? :-)
>
> How good is it?

Very. But you want to use the development version (1.5.14 at the
moment).

> Any comments on the differences (productivity, mail filtering, etc)
> from the graphical mail clients? Why do you use it?

Because it is the most versatile and configurable mail client which is
out there. I don't know of any other mail client coming close to the
features mutt has. Though it still stinks in some parts. As Michael
Elkins said 12 years ago:

``All mail clients suck.  This one just sucks less.'' -me, circa 1995

And that is just true. Still.

But they really could release 1.6.x, as 1.4.x is just too old and misses
many imap features (and header caching) which 1.5.x already has.

Oh, before someone hits me: Yes, Gnus is the one mail client which can
do all the stuff mutt can't. But it needs Emacs as its operating system.

Ralph