[CentOS] software raid

Gordon McLellan gordonthree at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 00:34:13 UTC 2007

Dave,

I've been running softraid on my personal server for over a year now.
My current config is five 250g sata drives.

One catch I ran into was online growth of the array.   I needed to
compile a later kernel version as well as the mdadm tool.  So for that
reason, I wouldn't recommend soft-raid5 in a production environment.
However, I've had no problems so far, and have expanded my storage
array several times now. (LVM2 makes it super easy)

I have soft-raid1 running on 'untouched' production servers, without issue.

Gordon