[CentOS] Tape drive recommendations

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Thu Mar 29 01:20:08 UTC 2007

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 at 11:54pm, Mark Schoonover wrote

I really didn't mean for this to turn into a tape vs. disk based backups
debate -- everyone has their own needs and ways of meeting them.  But I
have to disagree with the following:

> Tape backups require user intervention everyday. There's no way around it,
> especially if you're testing your backups for reliability.

No, they don't.  With a library, you only need to change tapes when you're
out of slots (if then, depending on your library, dataset size, retention
needs, etc).  And any decent backup software should have some sort of
verification built in or easily scripted.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering