[CentOS] software raid

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Thu Mar 29 16:21:09 UTC 2007

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 at 12:17pm, chrism at imntv.com wrote

> I keep hearing about this "slowness" thing.  Here is a bonnie++ run on one of
> my spare machines.  This particular machine is also running 4 copies of
> Folding at Home in the background during the test.  The array being tested is on
> a 3Ware 9550 card with 8 500gig barracudas.  The filesystem is a standard
> ext3 filesystem with zero tweaks.  It doesn't appear that slow to me, but
> perhaps I'm just easy to please.

The problem was particularly pronounced on the 75xx/85xx series cards
(which were not exactly RAID5 speed demons).  XFS blew away ext3 on
hardware RAID5 arrays on those cards.  I don't have any benchmarks handy
on 95xx series cards, bit I vaguely recall that XFS still performed
better, but not by anywhere near the same margin.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering