[CentOS] Samba

Dave K davek08054 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 16:52:04 UTC 2007

On 3/29/07, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:

> actually, you enable it by editing /etc/xinetd.d/swat and commenting out
> the disable=yes line w/ a #, then `service xinetd reload`
>
> its not a bad idea to enable the only_from line too, and specify the IP
> of the system or subnet you wish to control it from, this supports
> 1.2.3.4/24 style network notation too.

Okay, I had to go refresh my memory.  The command "chkconfig swat on"
edits /etc/xinetd.d/swat to change the "disable" option, perhaps
easier for the non-techies than editing the file, but then again
system-config-services might be even easier to use, and points out
that you need to deal with xinetd..  The default CentOS-configuration
(at least the one for 4.4 I just installed), has "only_from" set to
127.0.0.1. I don't think I'd want wide access to it (like if I had a
wireless LAN), but if the original requester already has webmin
running it may not matter.

--
Dave K
Unix Systems & Network Administrator