[CentOS] Really small Linux and NAS

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Fri Mar 30 16:32:40 UTC 2007

cameron wrote:
> David A. Woyciesjes wrote:
>
>> Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>>
>>> I have a really nice, old Libretto 110.  Only 64Mb memory.
>>>
>>> I want to put Linux on it and have a network monitoring system and a
>>> traveling NAS.
>>>
>>> But all of the NASs have seemed to have grown beyond their original
>>> 64Mb size (FreeNAS now needs 128Mb).
>>>
>>> Only thing I have found is:
>>> http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS8289526009.html
>>>
>>> Talking about Unbutu 6.0 and the 'Server' install that can run in
>>> 64Mb and provide NAS.
>>>
>>> Any pointers?
>>>
>>     Have you looked into Damn Small Linux?
>> http://www.damnsmalllinux.org
>>

> another vote for dsl.   I have also had a lot of luck on older systems
> using feather linux - http://featherlinux.berlios.de/

I am going to give DSL a try.  It won't be so easy....

The system cannot boot from a CD, so I have to first get the "the all in
one boot floppy"  http://home.arcor.de/mschierlm/bootdisk/

then install of CD with both PCMCI slots in use.
then put in a LAN PCMCI with the CD and install networking stuff.
then pull the LAN, put in a USB PCMCI with the CD and install that.

Then, hopefully I will be ready to go!