[CentOS] Re: On PostScript

Thu Mar 1 00:36:15 UTC 2007
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

James B. Byrne spake the following on 2/28/2007 10:26 AM:
> I have been attempting to create a custom fax cover sheet for a hylafax
> web front end called avantfax.  It requires as input an encapsulated
> postscript file conaining the glyph definitions and the text to be
> subsituted as strings having the form XXXX-to-variable or
> XXXX-from-variable.
>
> I have been trying to create a valid eps file using a varitiy of methods
> with no great succes. However, I ahve uncovered a few bits of information
> from my explorations and I wonder if someone here with greater postscript
> exprience than I might help:
>
> What am getting from printing to a file using an applewritter ppd is this:
>
> ---> snip
> %%Page: 1 1
> %%PageBoundingBox: 0 0 612 792
> %%BeginPageSetup
> %
> [{
> %%BeginFeature: *PageSize Letter
> <</PageSize[612 792]/ImagingBBox null>>setpagedevice
> %%EndFeature
> } stopped cleartomark
> %%EndPageSetup
> gsave
> [0.24 0 0 -0.24 0 792] concat
> gsave
> 237 278 moveto
> 0 setgray
> (Courier-iso1252) cvn findfont 50 -50 matrix scale makefont setfont
> <585858582D746F2D6661782D6E756D626572>
> [30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 0]
> xshow
> grestore grestore
> showpage
> %%PageTrailer
>
> %%Trailer
> %%BoundingBox: 0 0 612 792
> %%Pages: 1
> <---
>
> What this tells me is that the string that I wish to use is bounded by the
> <> characters and are present as a set of array indices. So 58 (hex) maps
> to the 98 entry of the array and this gives the letter /X. 2D likewise
> maps to 46 and this is /hyphen.  74 maps to index 116 and this is letter
> /t and so on.  The problem is that the application software is looking to
> replace the sting "XXXX-to-fax-number" and not
> <585858582D746F2D6661782D6E756D626572>.  Is there an alternative form of
> prepresentation within an eps document to display using the actual ascii
> text and not use these lookups?
>
> I have noted that when documents are created using Acrobat that I get
> different commands that use ASCII text strings, but that these are broken
> in arpitratry places (presumably to allow expact glyph positioning on the
> image irrespective of font metrics on the target device).
>
> What I want to have in the final .ps file is something approximating this:
>
> --->
> (Courier-iso1252) cvn findfont 50 -50 matrix scale makefont setfont
> "XXXX-to-fax-number"
> [30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 0]
> xshow
> <---

> [...]
Have you looked at the cups header sheets as an example to work with?
They have some variable substitution in them. They might give you a hint.
AFAIR they are pure postscript, but maybe a start.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and