[CentOS] CentOS 4.4 lvm and drbd 0.8?

Fri Mar 2 20:54:45 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-27 at 00:20 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Johnny Hughes wrote:
> >
> > I am not quite sure that drbd-8 is totally ready yet for prime time.
> > Not that I don't trust them (I use drbd in production and I love it),
> > but I want to wait for an 8.0.1 or 8.0.2 level before I move the
> > enterprise CentOS RPMS to that version.
> >
> > I would be open to producing some 8.0.0 rpms for testing ... though that
> > will probably need to wait until after CentOS 5 Beta is released.
>
> Could you get the same effect by running software RAID1 with one of the
> drives connected via iscsi?

Provides the same effect as DRBD? ... not really ... as DRBD provides a
second machine in hot standby mode with a totally synced partition that
is ready to take over on a failure of the first machine.  If the first
computer blows up (power supply, hard drive crash, etc.), the second one
starts up and takes over with no down time (except the time it takes to
mount the partition and start the services on the new machine).