[CentOS] rsh with passwords

Sat Mar 10 00:43:30 UTC 2007
Florin Andrei <florin at andrei.myip.org>

I am doing rsync over a private network. Encryption is not required.
Currently rsync over ssh works, but requires too many CPU cycles
(especially when doing a lot of transfers) on a CPU-bound system. I need
to use rsh instead.

The problem is, I can either set rsh to allow transfers without a
password, or it won't let me transfer files at all.

I need rsh to ask for a password. The network may be private (I don't
worry about sniffers) but still I'm not OK with giving the rsync client
a blank check and allow it to connect without a password.

I tried to make various modifications to /etc/pam.d/rsh but I can't
convince rshd to require a password.

I searched the Web for a solution, but everyone seems to be in the
opposite situation (looking to allow rsh to connect without a password,
which is trivial).

Any suggestion?

--
Florin Andrei