[CentOS] Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 and CentOS 5 extras packages

Wed Mar 14 07:57:48 UTC 2007
Dag Wieers <dag at wieers.com>

Hi,

In the advent of RHEL5 and CentOS 5, I've been rebuilding the RPMforge
packages for EL5. You can find these at the usual location[*]. A few
points though:

 + Not all RPMforge packages are available at this time

 + If you find a package that you need and isn't there, please do look at
   the buildlogs and send me instructions on how to fix this specific
   build. (Saves us time having to go through it ourselves)

 + Upgrading from RHEL4 to RHEL5 using Anaconda does work. Even when
   people do not recommend it for various reasons. You should be able to
   update your packages directly to EL5. If you find that some EL4
   package is not replace by its EL5 counterpart, let me know.

 + If you see FC6 tagged packages, don't panic ! These are official
   RHEL5 packages. RPMforge does not provide fc6-tagged packages for
   RHEL5. ANd we do not recommend installing these (even if they seem to
   work).

Enjoy RHEL5 !

PS To me it looks like it could finally replace the current desktop OS of
relatives. (low-risk updates, security fixes for 7 years, no changing parts)

[*] http://dag.wieers.com/rpm/
    http://apt.sw.be/redhat/el5/en/
    http://apt.sw.be/redhat/el5/en/i386/dag/repodata/

Kind regards,