[CentOS] Vsftpd/Centos Issue: Client Time Display Wrong

Wed Mar 21 23:21:48 UTC 2007
Karl R. Balsmeier <karl at klxsystems.net>

Hi,

We have patched Centos 4.4 to work properly with the recent DST changes,
but our customers are reporting wrong FTP client timestamps based on
which areas they live in.

What are the two main mechanisms in Centos that control time?  I know
about /etc/localtime and TZDATA, is there something we may have missed?
Or is this perhaps a VSFTPd thing and I could go bug that list?

To be clear, -i'm asking:  How would you verify your Centos system was
completely sound and properly set for time changes like DST?  I did all
of our servers going back all the way to Solaris 7, but this seems
uniquely to do with my centos4.3 machines running vsftpd.  If you can
drop a command line or two on me to determine the time settings are OK,
that would be a great start.

Notice i'm not asking for a solution to the whole issue, but just a
starter set of 'grep this, enter that' forensics, so I can nail down
which of the two mechanisms are in error, specific to centos 4.3, 4.4.

-karlski