[CentOS] how to replace files only if larger

Tue Mar 27 12:53:18 UTC 2007

I am consolidating a lot of files.  I have archives of Internet drafts,
from over the years.

I just pulled down all the current Internet Drafts.

I want to mv all my other stored IDs to this current directory ONLY if,
they are larger.

You may be aware that when a draft is expired, a small file is left in
the directory for some time with content like:

"This Internet-Draft has been deleted. Unrevised documents placed in the
Internet-Drafts directories have a maximum life of six months. After
that time, they are deleted. This Internet-Draft was not published as
an RFC. "

If I have the actual draft, I would like it to replace this little tab.
But if the draft is still available, then my old archive will tend to
have a newer date, as I use to grab IDs via FTP which would date my copy
the date I grabbed them.  I built my current directory with wget with
the -m option, which perserves the original file's date...

I would even be willing to do this with Nautilus, but so far it just
tells me the file exists in the target directory and do I want to
replace it...

Thanks for any help you can provide...

Just had a 'nasty' thought.  By using mget -m to maintain my IDs
directory, all my efforts would be for naught, as the deleted message
file will have a newer date than my copy of the original draft and
overwrite it.

Crude.

Got to think some more on this......