[CentOS] Help with XDMCP over SSH

Thu Mar 1 15:06:48 UTC 2007
Plant, Dean <dean.plant at roke.co.uk>

Les Mikesell wrote:
> It should work, but NX is nicer in many situations.  If you just want
> to run a few applications and don't need the whole desktop you can
> start cygwin xwin in -multiwindow mode, then start the apps you want
> in your putty window using & to background them and get the prompt
> back.  Each app will open its own window on your desktop.  A
> variation on this theme is to drag the application launchers you need
> from the gnome menu onto the desktop or in a folder on the desktop
> and start nautilus from that first putty window. Clicking on the
> launchers will start each app in its own window.

Well after your advice I thought I better had take a look at FreeNX. 10
minutes later, all up and running and I agree, it is a lot nicer
solution. In case anyone else is considering FreeNX, check out
http://wiki.centos.org/FreeNX follow the write up and you will be up and
running in 10 mins. Thanks Les and the author of the wiki page.

Dean.