[CentOS] Re: Swap Considerations

Thu Mar 1 16:43:37 UTC 2007
Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net>

Scott Silva wrote:

> Might be a little slower with file system overhead, but it is not a problem to
> do so.

I have heard that, with ext3, the extra time to use a file
has mostly been removed.

> Is there some reason you want to use a file? IMHO a 2 gig swap partition takes
> the same space as a 2 gig swap file.

Yes, I'd like to experiment with various amounts of swap,
and see what best fits my system. I don't want to repartition
over and over, and reinstall repeatedly. ISTM that if I can
fix the size of swap by using a file it would be more easily
tuned.

But I hope the tuning isn't markedly different for using
a swap partition and a swap file. Near a min or max, any
smoothly changing function has a derivative near zero,
so if the sweet point isn't very far away, it shouldn't
make much difference to actual performance.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.