[CentOS] Virtualisation

Thu Mar 1 18:45:08 UTC 2007
Stephen Harris <lists at spuddy.org>

On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 12:33:21PM -0600, Robert Becker Cope wrote:
> -----centos-bounces at centos.org wrote: -----
>
> >At present the virtual machines are vserver instances on an old FC2 box.
>
> VMware has released VMware Server as a free product. It is worth looking at. I

Yup, I mentioned that as an option on my initial list.  I've got a
test box running CentOS 4.4 and VMware.  It's a heavy weight solution,
but has advantages (I could potentially run Solaris 86 in a session,
Windows in a session etc).

> used to run a bunch of vserver instances, and while those did have some
> interesting advantages, I ended up rebuilding everything using VMware Server as
> I retired hardware. My reasons for this were simply that under VMware I could
> run any OS and the experience was pretty much identical to having real
> hardware.

This was my preferred approach (mostly for the reasons you suggested)
but the overkill of a whole VM for just an sshd process is what lead me
to asking the question here in the first place.

Thanks for your input!

--

rgds
Stephen