[CentOS] Virtualisation

Fri Mar 2 13:56:11 UTC 2007
Stephen Harris <lists at spuddy.org>

On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 01:44:19PM +0000, James Fidell wrote:
> hardware is required.  Also, my experience would seem to indicate that
> some of the fully-virtual support in Xen and its associated tools is a
> little rough around the edges.  For minimal pain, VMware may well be a

The Xen problems you mention sound similar to problems others have
reported.  A friend of a friend elsewhere has played with Xen in RHEL5b1
and RHEL5b2 and gave up, sticking with VMware.

> I've been a VMware user for about eight years and it isn't without it's

I've been using VMware for a couple of years and am trialing the free
VMware server on an older machine (Celeron 1200; why yes... it's slow!).
So far the Centos kernel patches just require rerunning the setup process
to rebuild the modules.  So far so painless :-)

> physical memory to specific VMs, so if you want each VM to have a
> reasonable amount of memory, you need enough in the server for all of

The new box has 2Gb of RAM just in case (4 times that of the box it will
be replacing).

Thanks!

--

rgds