[CentOS] Virtualisation

Fri Mar 2 17:07:13 UTC 2007
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

Matt Shields wrote:
> VMWare server is fine for testing VM's, but if you plan on using
> VMWare in a production environment you should upgrade to ESX or the
> other commercial products they offer like Infrastucture.  As mentioned
> previously ESX is it's own OS (custom RHEL), whereas VMWare Server
> (and player) run on top of your current OS and will not be tuned to
> run a lot of VM's.

OTOH, I have VMware Server running on a RHEL4 x86_64 4 x opteron850
(2.4Ghz) server with 8GB ram, its hosting 6 CentOS i386 instances (512MB
virtual each), a Windows Vista instance (1GB virtual) and a Solaris 10
x86 instance (1GB), and its been running just sweet as can be.   the
various guest instances are being used to test factory floor messaging
middleware (java stuff), and have performed just great.