[CentOS] RPMs

Sat Mar 3 17:42:14 UTC 2007
Phil Schaffner <P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org>

On Sat, 2007-03-03 at 15:52 +0000, Mário Gamito wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think my problem is related to the way i make my RPMs (i'm newbie at
> this).
>
> Two things:
>
> 1) the generated RPMs are only 1,5 kb size. That's inpossible.
>
> 2) The rpmbuild -ba zbr.spec indeed installs the software in the
> building stage. That's odd, isn't it ?
>
> Following my signature is an openssl.spec file
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Good advice from Jim Perrin.  Easy to break your system by replacing
core packages.

Have you started with some basics like reading the docs at

http://www.rpm.org/

?

Try to google on things like

        rpmbuild
        rpm howto
        rpm tutorial

which will yield many helpful getting-started pages.

There is a section near the top of

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Custom_Kernel

about setting up a non-root build environment on CentOS.

If you just want to practice building/installing RPMS start with
packages that are not part of CentOS.  Study the spec files from some
CentOS src.rpm files to see good examples of how it should be done.
Once you get the build environment set up, as your normal non-root user
do:

$ rpm -i /path/to/rpm/foo-1.2.3-el4.src.rpm

This will install everything under the user's directory, usually in
~/rpmbuild/...

Good luck learning rpm packaging.

Phil