[CentOS] CentOS 4.4 lvm and drbd 0.8?

Sun Mar 4 18:29:34 UTC 2007
Ross S. W. Walker <rwalker at medallion.com>

While yes combining tools is the Unix way, there are also some
tools that are better suited for a task than others.

For example in my second post I suggest if you have a bunch of
direct attached storage, say located on 20 servers in a local
area network. If you export the storage from those 20 servers
to a central server via iSCSI and use MD raid to create a large
RAID-{3,4,5,6} array of those iSCSI targets. Then you use LVM
to split those into differing volumes for re-export via iSCSI.
You can then use drbd on those LVM volumes with asynchronous
replication to a storage array off-site for DR purposes or to
a local storage device as a volume snapshot server (where both
copies need to be active at once). You can then re-export those
volumes via iSCSI to different OS platforms to use as storage.

This could work well, but if you plan on using MD RAID1 to
replicate data to off-site storage you will see very poor
performance. MD RAID1 may work well in replicating storage
synchronously between 2 local storage devices, but not to a
remote storage device. In that case drbd would work better in
that case. Also if you wanted both sides of a mirror to be
active at once drbd 8.X is the only way to go.

-Ross