[CentOS] CentOS 4.4 not seeing all RAM

Mon Mar 5 21:43:20 UTC 2007
Richard Karhuse <rkarhuse at gmail.com>

While I too believe that it is a BIOS setting that is giving you troubles,
as another suggestion and data point, whenever I install new memory,
I run memtest (via the install CD boot: prompt) and let memory tests
run overnight [if it finds all the memory installed on the box.].   If it
doesn't find all the memory, you want to start looking at the memory sticks,
are they seated correctly, etc.  Finally, I check timing.

Then, if Linux doesn't see the memory, it is usually the BIOS that
is the problem (at least for me where my memory is less than 8 GB).
Also, I go over the first couple of pages of dmesg (at boot-up) with a
fine tooth comb and understand all the messages, their implications, etc.

If all else fails, I use the* Linux*-ready *Firmware* Developer Kit at:

    http://www.linuxfirmwarekit.org/

While it doesn't do a lot with memory, it might find some "issues" with
your BIOS .....

Hope this helps ...

    Rich