[CentOS] rsh with passwords

Sat Mar 10 12:18:46 UTC 2007
Will McDonald <wmcdonald at gmail.com>

On 10/03/07, Florin Andrei <florin at andrei.myip.org> wrote:
> I am doing rsync over a private network. Encryption is not required.
> Currently rsync over ssh works, but requires too many CPU cycles
> (especially when doing a lot of transfers) on a CPU-bound system. I need
> to use rsh instead.
>
> The problem is, I can either set rsh to allow transfers without a
> password, or it won't let me transfer files at all.

It's been a long time since I was required to setup passwordless
rsh/rlogin but from memory, I had to hack about with some of the
rsh/rlogin PAM configs under /etc/pam.d to remove some password
requirements. This was back on RH7.x.

There's a bunch of Kerberos authentication required for the
CentOS/RHEL rsh/rlogin variants too.

Will.