[CentOS] wiki howto on custom kernel

Mon Mar 12 13:54:27 UTC 2007
Alfred von Campe <alfred at 110.net>

On Mar 10, 2007, at 3:10, Ralph Angenendt wrote:

> Concerning the errors: I'll fix them, thanks for noticing and telling.

I was just going to report these myself.  Anyway, I am on the final
step at the moment (the RPM is being built).  But I have a couple of
questions regarding this process of building a custom kernel:

   1. Why is it not a good idea to build a custom kernel
     as root (you have to be root to install it)?

   2. Why do these steps not work if you do this as root
      (i.e., no ~/rpmbuild after fedora-buildrpmtree)?

   3. After copying the config file an making one small
      change with "make xconfig", why are there so many
      differences in the config file?

The first two questions are just intellectual curiosity, but the
third one really has me wondering what's going on.  I followed the
steps in the Wiki, and when I diff'ed the original config file to the
one create by "make xconfig" after making two changes in the serial
port section, I saw a lot of differences.

Alfred