[CentOS] New System Build

Wed Mar 14 23:10:44 UTC 2007
nethub at gmail.com <nethub at gmail.com>

Mark Hull-Richter wrote:
> Slightly OT, but what are the best boards for CentOS (if any) and how do
> ECS boards stack up?
>
> (Yeah, I know they're cheap, but my budget is EXTREMELY limited for home
> machines.  I just got an ECS NFORCE4M-A with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800MHz
> and 2Gb of 800 MHz OCZ memory, plus a geFORCE 7100ds video board cuz the
> ECS doesn't have an AGP slop for my aging current video card.  Comments
> welcome.)
>
> Thanks - reply directly if you don't think this belongs here.
>
> mhr

I usually encourage people to stay away from ECS due to the high
incidence of DOA and generally poor support for Linux.  You're probably
going to run into problems running this board with Linux from looking at
the reviews of it on NewEgg.com.

If you get the board up and running, I would try to test it thoroughly
before you're outside of your return window.  Better motherboards are
available for only slightly more money (about $20); it may be worth
trying to return it if possible.