[CentOS] Re: What's the best way to convert a whole set of filesystems?

Thu Mar 15 00:45:31 UTC 2007
John Summerfield <debian at herakles.homelinux.org>

Mark Hull-Richter wrote:

> I was thinking to copy each partition to the new /home one at a time,
> reformat the original (from NTFS to ext3) and then copy back.  That
> makes sense to me except for the plain text files (which should be
> converted from dos to unix format), but I could do that afterwards.
>
> It would probably be horrendously slow with cp - what would be a better
> way: tar, cpio, or dd, or something else?

I'd not expect cp to be significantly slower or faster than tar etc. dd
just copys bytes, it does nothing to interpret them as a filesystem, so
there's no way for dd to change the filesystem (but it can, for example,
copy /dev/hda2 to ~/hda2.img where you can then mount them as
filesystems and play with cp, tar and so on.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait