[CentOS] Monitoring pkg to monitor router

Thu Mar 15 06:43:41 UTC 2007
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

Indunil Jayasooriya wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a router which is maintained by our ISP. They have given us to
> monitor it by using MRTG. It is okay. But it only shows incoming and
> outgoing traffice. It does not say wherther is TCP or UDP or ICMP. It
> just shows in and out.That's it.
>
> But, I want to monitor this router ? Can you tell me a good pkg for it
> ? router has a snmp commiunity password . Ido not know it. My ISP does
> not give it either.
>
> Can you help me accoring to my condition soon?

you could put a HUB (not a switch) between your network and this router,
then hang a dedicated linux system on it that was running NTOP, and find
out all KINDA cool stuff....

-[ISP router]------[hub]----------[your existing switch]---your network

             [ntop monitor system]

alternately, if your existing switch is a managed switch, you may be
able to set a specific port on it to be a monitor or mirror port, and
connect the ntop monitor to that port.

http://www.ntop.org/overview.html