[CentOS] Re: centos beta 5 right click on desktop [OT]

Thu Mar 15 15:55:56 UTC 2007
Jeff Lasman <blists at nobaloney.net>

On Wednesday 14 March 2007 11:30 am, Mark Hull-Richter wrote:

> I used KDE briefly on my SuSE Linux at home, but it kept the CPU so
> busy that everything ran slower than <you know what>.  I'm not seeing
> that problem with gnome, here at work (CentOS 4.4+) or at home (still
> SuSE until I put in the new Mobo/Mem/Video).  Has that changed, or is
> KDE still a CPU/GPU hog?

Note that I don't use CentOS on my desktop; I use Mandriva 2005 (I know
it's old; eventually I'll move to something else, perhaps CentOS5).

I keep ten different screens open, and usually five or six copies of
Mozilla, and KMail with one main window and five or so individual
emails windows.

I occasionally see a spike, and when I run the desktop without rebooting
over two months or so, I sometimes even lock up and have to leave the
computer for a few hours if I want it to catch up with itself and start
running again without a restart.

But generally KDE runs very well for me:

<snip>
top - 08:55:15 up 33 days, 19:29,  1 user,  load average: 0.30, 0.27,
0.20
Tasks: 164 total,   1 running, 163 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
Cpu(s): 12.5% us,  4.3% sy,  0.0% ni, 83.1% id,  0.2% wa,  0.0% hi,
0.0% si
Mem:   1018328k total,   998416k used,    19912k free,    24660k buffers
Swap:  1044152k total,   341648k used,   702504k free,   219348k cached
</snip>

Note this is the KDE that came with Mandriva 2005 LE.

Jeff
--
Jeff Lasman, Nobaloney Internet Services
P.O. Box 52200, Riverside, CA  92517