[CentOS] Default 4.4 kernel and NTFS?

Thu Mar 15 23:06:33 UTC 2007
Paul Schoonderwoerd <paul at pollux-it.nl>

On Thursday 15 March 2007 22:13, Andreas Rogge wrote:
> Hello,
> the reason this is disabled in the standard-kernel is that the upstream-
> package ships with this disabled.
> Your best bet is probably the centosplus kernel. The package contains
> the ntfs-module. But I doubt that write-support is enabled.
>
> The centosplus kernel is more or less the upstream-kernel with all the
> disabled stuff reenabled.
>
> Regards,
> Andreas Rogge
>
> Am Donnerstag, den 15.03.2007, 17:03 -0400 schrieb Scott R Ehrlich:
> > I just installed Centos 4.4 and performed a Yum update to freshen all
> > out-of-date files.
> >
> > I also have two IDE drives that are NTFS partitioned, but noticed they
> > are not seen by the kernel.
> >
> > I visit /usr/src/kernels/2.6.9-42.EL-i686 and copy the Makefile.bak to
> > Makefile and run make xconfig.    Reviewing the supported filesystems,
> > ntfs is not selected.   Any reason why not?
> >
> > What is the easiest and safest way to get ntfs support?  I could just
> > download and compile the latest kernel, but there must be an easier, and
> > just as safe, method for installing one simple option.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Scott

The easiest way I know is to download a kernel-module from here:
http://www.linux-ntfs.org/content/view/120/59/

The downside is that with each new kernel you need a new module, so if you
really need ntfs support all the time, you  might be stuck for a while. It
used to be read-only but I have not checked what the story is these days.
Fill us in.

Bye
--
Paul Schoonderwoerd
Pollux IT - Open Source oplossingen & Netwerkbeveiliging