[CentOS] Via Eden

Sun Mar 18 23:01:02 UTC 2007
chrism at imntv.com <chrism at imntv.com>

John Summerfield wrote:
> chrism at imntv.com wrote:
>> I've been thinking of using one of these for a home theater head unit.
>>
>> http://www.logicsupply.com/product_info.php/products_id/696
>>
>> Was planning to configure it with the following:
>>
>> Dual 4gig compact flash cards w/IDE adapters (about $50/each)
>> Re-use old 3Ware dual port IDE card to make this a bootable RAID0
>> array (for speed)
>
> Track down ipcop. It's a firewall package, and I believe there is
> advice about using CF as disk.
>
> I think there's a limit to how many times you can write to it, and it
> might bite you.
>
> I prefer the idea of a notepad drive; faster and more duable.

Limited writes isn't an issue here since the only writes to the media
will be the OS, applications, and occasional updates.  The media store
is on a separate machine.  /var and swap are on the notebook drive.
The idea is to use the flash so that it wakes up relatively quickly,
makes little noise, and generates little heat.

>> Cheap 2.5" 20gig drive for swap and /var partitions
>
> A drive that small is likely slower than newer ones.

Which doesn't matter since it is only going to be used for /var and swap.

Cheers,