[CentOS] installing perl module in centos/rpmforge vs. cpan methods

Mon Mar 19 19:08:00 UTC 2007
Karl R. Balsmeier <karl at klxsystems.net>

Hi,

I just used RPMforge package perl-Mail-Sender, and am looking at the
perl cpan site for info, anyone got a simple way to determine if the
module is working properly?

I am trying to use the cpan info, but it's a bit cryptic (as perl is
wont to be).

-it says to use this:

#!/usr/local/bin/perl

use ExtUtils::Installed;
my $instmod = ExtUtils::Installed->new();
foreach my $module ($instmod->modules()) {
my $version = $instmod->version($module) || "???";
       print "$module -- $version\n";
}

but all I get is:

Perl -- 5.8.5

which seems to indicate doing a

wget
http://dag.wieers.com/rpm/packages/perl-Mail-Sender/perl-Mail-Sender-0.8.13-1.el4.rf.noarch.rpm
rpm -ivh perl-Mail-Sender-0.8.13-1.el4.rf.noarch.rpm

is either working and thie script above just cant see it, or the module
is installed and requires some follow up.  Both of these are just
theoretical.

Any input from the wise listers other than "read all of cpan since you
have a million hours free time".

perl -MCPAN -e 'install Mail::Sender'     simply hangs on the FTP
transaction, thus the reason I did this from RPMforge instead.

-krb