[CentOS] Re: centos 4.4 dns problem -

Wed Mar 21 13:22:56 UTC 2007
Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin at wildblue.net>

Tony Mountifield wrote:
> In article <46010BD3.1070307 at wildblue.net>,
> Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin at wildblue.net> wrote:
>
>> Upon installing Centos 4.4 a second time it worked "out of the box" as
>> expected.  Sorry that I caused a stir over a non-problem.  I still have
>> no idea what I did that may have caused dns to fail, I think I made all
>> the same choices and entries the second time around?  However doing this
>> in the wee hours I had no interruptions or distractions ...
>>
>> Should anyone be interested the dns servers are:
>> cat /etc/resolv.conf
>> nameserver 12.189.32.61
>> nameserver 208.67.222.222
>> nameserver 208.67.220.220
>>

> These are all external to your box.
>

>> but there may be a problem here:
>> service named status
>> rndc: connect failed: connection refused
>>

> So this isn't a problem - you don't need named running on the box unless
> you want to support having "nameserver 127.0.0.1" in your resolv.conf
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Cheers
> Tony

Yes I want the caching-nameserver running and thought it would result
from the install but that didn't happen?

Despite that it seems to be working well!  I was able to install xfce
via yum but apparently gkrellm will have to be done without yum?  I also
like the dejavu fonts ...

So I have some configuration to attend to but so far I am quite happy
with the result.

Thanks.

Bob