[CentOS] A few issues

Wed Mar 21 18:31:55 UTC 2007
Mark Hull-Richter <mhull-richter at datallegro.com>

> -----Original Message-----
> From: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On
> Behalf Of Winter
> Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2007 5:59 PM
> To: CentOS mailing list
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] A few issues
>
> Hail and well met, Mark

Greetings and salutations to you as well, honored sir!

> > 1)       Is this the right place for kernel internals questions?
>
> I have no idea...but I'll try to answer your questions anyway.  If I
get
> scolded, so be it.

I'll do that in another thread.

> > 2)       I noticed this morning that my GLMatrix screensaver is not
> > working any more.
>
> Open up a terminal window while X is running and type:
>
> /usr/bin/glxinfo | grep direct
>
> In a kind world, the response will be "direct rendering:  Yes".  If
you
> don't get that response then possibly your driver is b0rked again or
> there's a problem in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.  Perhaps you could
> run /usr/sbin/nvidia-xconfig.

I'll try this when I get home and have a minute.  FTR, here at work,
where the screensavers work just fine, I get this:

[mhr at mhullrichter ~]$ glxinfo | grep direct
Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
direct rendering: No
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect

(I also noticed that glxinfo is /usr/X11R6/bin/glxinfo....)

> > 3)       Now that I mention it, I'm still having trouble running the
> > display configuration settings applet (it comes and asks for the
root
> > password, then disappears).  What's up with that?  This happens here
at
> > work and also at home....
>
> I think the command you can use in the terminal is
> /usr/sbin/nvidia-settings.  It might give you an error report.

Again, later when I get home.  Thanks.

mhr