[CentOS] CentOS 5 Beta Feels Snappier

Thu Mar 22 17:10:45 UTC 2007
James Olin Oden <james.oden at gmail.com>

On 3/22/07, Rodrigo Barbosa <rodrigob at darkover.org> wrote:

> Are you, by any chance, running tmpwatch ? I have seen this kind of
> thing happening on other distros. tmpwatch would remove files from
> /tmp related to X11 autentication, so the application would start, but
> X11 would not allow it to open.
Thats evil.  I had tmpwatch do similar things before.  The solution
was to train the app not to save log files (or in this case
authentication credentials) to tmp.
I really wonder if X11 on RHEL5 should be configured to store its
credential type files elsewhere?

Cheers...james

P.S. The problem I had in the past was an app would open a log file,
and some time later tmpwatch would delete it.  The app though still
had the fd open on the log and was still writting to it, such that
space was being depleted in /tmp but there was no file you could see
that was taking all the space.   Furthermore any logrotation schemes
just simply didn't work because there was no link associated with the
file anymore.