[CentOS] DISAATER RECOVERY PROBLEM

Fri Mar 23 13:45:49 UTC 2007
Alfred von Campe <alfred at 110.net>

On Mar 23, 2007, at 7:55, Chris Geldenhuis wrote:

> [snip]
> However when I then log in to the recovered system as a user via
> ssh, or directly on a tty (non-gui), the login process does not
> execute the instructions in the user's .bashrc file and I get a
> shell prompt with none of the required environmental variables set
> - also the last line in the .bashrc is an exec of a script that
> bring up the application - this does not happen.
>
> When I log in to the gui desktop as the user and then open a
> terminal screen the instructions in the .bashrc do get executed
> and the application runs as it should.
>
> Any ideas of where to look ?

For starters, add some echo statements to the beginning of
the .bashrc file to ensure that it is being executed.   Maybe an
error is occurring when it is a login shell.  I usually debug startup
problems like this by putting an exit call half way through
the .bashrc file and add some echo statements.

Alfred