[CentOS] Samba config for Windows on VMWare

Fri Mar 23 19:46:45 UTC 2007
Bart Schaefer <barton.schaefer at gmail.com>

On 3/23/07, Mark Hull-Richter <mhull-richter at datallegro.com> wrote:

> I have tried to configure my CentOS4.4 Plus desktop for samba sharing with
> the VMWare Windows that runs on it.  However, no matter what I've done so
> far, I can't get the Windows to recognize this machine as a legitimate
> network destination.

I think the one thing you might be missing is a "workgroup"
configuration.  My global section looks like this:

[global]
        workgroup = workgroup
        server string = CentOS Samba Server
        printcap name = /etc/printcap
        load printers = yes
        cups options = raw
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 50
        dns proxy = no
        template shell = /bin/false
        password server = None
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        winbind use default domain = no

The workgroup of the windows machine and the centos machine have to
match.  The default workgroup on windows is "mygroup" IIRC.  Note also
that I don't have a "security" setting but I don't think that makes a
difference.

> I noticed that neither the nmbd nor winbindd daemons are running – dunno
> why, the startup showed [ OK ].

You might want to find out why.  I don't think winbindd matters, but
nmbd could be important.