[CentOS] segfaults with 8 gig of ram

Sat Mar 24 08:37:26 UTC 2007
Feizhou <feizhou at graffiti.net>

tblader wrote:

> Feizhou wrote:
> <snip>
>>
>> Is the thing stable with 6GB without the kernel parameters? :D
>>
>> I am asking because someone else reports using an Abit KN9 without any
>> acpi or apic related parameters and having stability.
>
> I tried running with all 4 sticks and the dram clocked down to DDR-667
> without the noapic and nolapic params and it hurled after a short time.
> I was using the default BIOS settings originally (ddr-800) and started
> with the kernel parameters, so I would say it was unstable at ddr-800
> as well.

Well...I don't think the previous guy used all four slots but thanks for
reporting :)

> Right now, it's been running for about 40 minutes (the Java install
> loop mentioned previously) with the dram clocked down to ddr-533.
> All four sticks are in and I ssh'd in and started another java install
> loop over the wire just to aggravate things.  If this continues to
> run for a few hours I'll call it good enough.

So all four sticks, clocked down and kernel parameters = A-OKAY
(assuming it is stable)

> I don't believe this to be a Kernel/Centos issue at all from what I've
> learned, so thanks for all the off-topic support :)

:) When using noapic and acpi=off, it is a given that it is not a kernel
problem. These parameters are to work around BIOS or other motherboard
issues.