[CentOS] segfaults with 8 gig of ram

Sat Mar 24 13:46:34 UTC 2007
tblader <tblader at flambeau.com>

Feizhou wrote:
<snip>

>> Right now, it's been running for about 40 minutes (the Java install
>> loop mentioned previously) with the dram clocked down to ddr-533.
>> All four sticks are in and I ssh'd in and started another java install
>> loop over the wire just to aggravate things.  If this continues to
>> run for a few hours I'll call it good enough.
>
> So all four sticks, clocked down and kernel parameters = A-OKAY
> (assuming it is stable)

Almost. Much to my dismay, the 4 stick testing went well but the
BIOS screens occasionally hung during reboot through the course
of the day.  I finally just pulled the 4th stick and went home.

I've modified the rc3.d/S99local* script to just reboot every 10
minutes and compile a kernel and modules in between.  I thought
I'd heat things up a bit piping urandom into /dev/null as well.

I've got other fx-62 boxes running the same mainboard with all 4
ram slots full, but those are Corsair ram @1G each - the ram timings
are different as well; 5-5-5-12 for the Corsair and 6-6-6-18
for the GSkill.  Maybe the GSkill ram just isn't up to the task
running Dual channel.  I have the weekend to play with it so maybe
I'll try two sticks in Dual Channel for a while and see what happens.

I'll post kernel compile times between the 3 sticks in single channel
and 2 in dual channel :)

[*]
echo /sbin/reboot | at now+10min
dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/null &