[CentOS] Centos 4.4 Problems not i586 compatible

Sun Mar 25 00:58:11 UTC 2007

junk at realtechtalk.com wrote:
> An i686 kernel on the machine I'm creating the livecd with but the
> kernel I specially compiled for the livecd is an i386.
>
> Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> junk at realtechtalk.com wrote:
>>> I have Centos 4.4 i386 installed an on i686.
>>> I tried making a mini-test live cd based on this install that just
>>> starts bash but it only works on i686 machines and not i586.
>>>
>>> I only have i386 glibc and all other packages are i386.  I copied all
>>> of the necessary .so files.
>>> I even manually compiled bash using -march=i386 & -mtune=i386 but it
>>> will only run on i686.
>>>

>> what kernel do you have installed ?

we dont have a i386 kernel in centos-4, and afaik you cant make the el
kernel build for i386 without major changes and dropping a lot of the
patches.

also, i am going to ignore your emails if you continue to top post :)

- KB